Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recycling Old Satellite Dishes

Default Recycling Old Satellite Dishes

How many of you have seen an old DirecTV or Dish Network (or any of their predecessors') satellite dish laying around at a garage sale, very possibly in the free box? Locally, thrift stores won't even take them any more, since they can't be used for their original purpose any longer and don't seem to have any other use.

Ah, but they do.

All you have to do is remove the LNB (the "receiver" unit out in front of the dish. You can leave the bracket that holds it--it might come in handy), then coat the dish with spray adhesive and cover that with aluminum foil (make sure to keep it smooth) or better yet, aluminized Mylar. Mount the unit on a board or something that will allow you to rotate the dish to the desired direction, then aim it at the sun (this can take some fiddling). Presto! That old dish is now an emissions-free parabolic hot dog cooker (or anything else you can hold in the focal point--use a barbecue fork or build a cooking rack on the former LNB bracket. Be creative!). It'll work as long as the sun shines.

It really works, and the project can be as simple or as complex as you want. Not a major alternate energy breakthrough, but it beats having the thing dumped in a landfill, doesn't it?
    This nut won't crack.

On my Pirateship called the "There is no such thing as enough shoes"

I saw a televisionprogramme once of a guy who put a thick slice of salmon, a spoonful of white wine and some herbs together in tinfoil. Then he put the paxckage under the hood of his car and went for a drive. When he arrived his meal was ready... Is this something just like that?

Eva
    The good, the bad and the hungry...

Eva,

you can also make a very nice poached chicken or fish dish by wrapping stuff in aluminum foil and putting it on the top rack of the dishwasher.

The top rack is also a great place for washing baseball caps.
    This Train Still Runs!

Lin Guest

I thought when Dave said to take out the innards and cover it with aluminum foil, he was making one of those metal hats that protect you from all those rays that people use to read your mind. LMAO I think there was a thread on JIMB about that sort of thing!!

Lin

No....it's to deflect the rays away and put them to constructive use. And when you see what they do to a hot dog, you'll never leave your tin foil hat at home again.

During my teens I made a unit similar to this out of a 24 inch surplus radar dish. We put a metal plate at the focal point and were actually making grilled sandwiches and hamburgers in a pan set on top of the plate. The major problem was when things took a while to cook--you have to keep adjusting the dish so it is aimed directly at the sun.
    This nut won't crack.

But do I have to wear my tinfoil hat when I cook with this thing.
    Dee / Daniel

Depends on whether you have line of sight visibility to a cell phone tower, Dee.

And of course those pesky satellites are always out there somewhere.
    This nut won't crack.

Lightbulb

Dave, looks like we think alike about saving things from the landfills - and saving some money at the same time. For example, since my husband Steve now works from home, he receives lots of catalogs, etc., in mailers. I pry off the staples so he doesn't use the tear strip, and keep the mailer....I guess a lot of people do this, including Janis herself.......What I have in mind for these mailers is to start an Internet business, selling used books.

I reuse every padded envelope and box I receive--saves me a fortune in packing products every year. And of course, it's that much less stuff going into the trash.

Have a book sitting here which I plan to send to Janis....I wonder if it would be bad form to mail it in an envelope I originally received from Rude Girl Records?
    This nut won't crack.

ponytail Guest

I have to say I actually wasn't surprised that a thread titled "Recycling Old Satellite Dishes" is also a food thread. I'm getting used to the ways of the JIMB.

And here I was wondering what possible use they could have, except as pasties for the 50 Foot Woman!