Thread: Uh-oh: House of Reps passes CISPA

paularoid is offline On the verge of losing dog because I post so much!

Default Uh-oh: House of Reps passes CISPA

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...s_passes_cispa

Uh-oh: House of Reps passes CISPA

In a scary development, the US House Of Representatives has passed the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) by a margin of 248 to 168.

Despite the passing, the nightmare bill is still stalled in the Senate and President Obama has indicated he will veto the bill no matter what, regardless.

What is Cispa?

The new Act is intended to protect out Internet interests by updating the National Security Act of 1947 and follows the failed SOPA and PIPA acts, which were publicly flogged over how the invaded our privacy. Additionally, the Act is meant to protect companies from the likes of hackers in other nations like China and Iran, who routinely try to break into networks of American corporations.

CISPA would allow the government almost infinite power by telling private companies to hand over all personal data it has collected on you over to any government agency that ask, before it is handed off to the Department of Homeland Security. This data includes all emails, all social network posts, all blog comments and everything else you do online.

In the bill itself, it says the companies will not have to pass on the info unless there is a "cyber threat," which is defined as "efforts to degrade, disrupt, or destroy government or private systems and networks." That means, for example, that someone writing the term DDoS on a forum post, can technically be eligible to have all their personal data handed over to the government.

Despite large companies like Facebook, Google and Microsoft supporting the bill (see all 28 here) for its anti-hacking properties, the White House is on the side of the people, with President Obama stating: "Cybersecurity and privacy are not mutually exclusive. Moreover, information sharing, while an essential component of comprehensive legislation, is not alone enough to protect the Nation's core critical infrastructure from cyber threats. Accordingly, the Administration strongly opposes H.R. 3523, the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, in its current form."
    Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean.

Quote Originally Posted by paularoid View Post
    Despite the passing, the nightmare bill is still stalled in the Senate and President Obama has indicated he will veto the bill no matter what, regardless.
    Good! This is getting more and more absurd.
    Dee / Daniel

Default Microsoft drops support for CISPA

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    Good! This is getting more and more absurd.
    Absurd yes, but here's some potentially good(?) news about it.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...port_for_cispa

Microsoft drops support for CISPA

Microsoft, who was long a supporter of the CISPA bill, has now done an about-face.

The software giant has said they can only support laws that allow "us to honor the privacy and security promises we make to our customers." Additionally, the company wants to "ensure the final legislation helps to tackle the real threat of cybercrime while protecting consumer privacy."

In November, when CISPA was introduced, Microsoft VP for government affairs Fred Humphries publicly stated they wanted to "commend CISPA's sponsors and Microsoft applauds their leadership." He later added: "This bill is an important first step towards addressing significant problems in cyber security." Clearly they are no longer as excited by the law.

Microsoft's new statement (via Cnet):

"Microsoft has previously stated support for efforts to improve cyber security, and sharing threat information is an important component of those efforts. Improvements to the way this information is shared would help companies better protect customers, and online services in the United States and around the world from criminal attack. Microsoft believes that any proposed legislation should facilitate the voluntary sharing of cyber threat information in a manner that allows us to honor the privacy and security promises we make to our customers.

Legislation passed by the House of Representatives yesterday is a first step in this legislative process. Since November, there has been active, constructive dialogue to identify and address concerns about the House bill, and several important changes were incorporated. We look forward to continuing to work with members of Congress, consumer groups, the civil liberties community and industry colleagues as the debate moves to the Senate to ensure the final legislation helps to tackle the real threat of cybercrime while protecting consumer privacy."

How secure would we be under constant "for our own good" surveillance? Not very, to my mind. It's coming sooner or later, but the longer we push it back, the more time we have to figure out ways to, with any luck, render the information gathered useless. I have heard that several very private ISPs have begun providing service with encryption that is several generations beyond the Department of Defense standard. But encryption is no good as long as people readily put their personal info on places like Facebook. Perhaps that's the first thing we should all do: fictionalize our Facebook accounts beyond all recognition. It will frustrate the advertisers and spammers, in addition to decreasing the use of the network as an "intelligence resource".
    This nut won't crack.

Default How CISPA would affect you (faq)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57...ffect-you-faq/

How CISPA would affect you (faq)

CISPA may have cleared the U.S. House of Representatives, but the fight isn't over. It's shifted to the U.S. Senate. Here's CNET's FAQ on what you need to know about this particularly controversial Internet bill.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57...ffect-you-faq/

Default CISPA: An Alternate Future Where Your Personal Privacy No Longer Exists

Longer than I want to post here but well worth the read. Click the link below.

http://lifehacker.com/5908120/an-alt...-longer-exists

One quote from it:
    Note: This is a fictional narrative based on what we believe the U.S. might be like if CISPA is passed into law, based on an in-depth discussion with Derek Bambauer, Associate Professor of Law at Brooklyn Law School. This story hasn't happened, but we've created it to illustrate one probable future.

http://lifehacker.com/5908120/an-alt...-longer-exists

Oh I see....the idea is to outlaw activities that are....illegal. They just want to remove such legal trivialities as the 4th and 5th Amendment to the Constitution.

I feel so much better now.
    Last edited by DaveM; 05-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    This nut won't crack.