Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My daughter got her first job!

Default My daughter got her first job!

YEE-HAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG - I might actually not have to keep shelling out so much money to her anymore!
    "Mom - can I have money for the movies?"
    "Mom - can I have gas money?"
    "Mom - can you buy me a new bathing suit?"
    "Mom - can you give me money for the fair?"
    "Mom - I got invited to the waterpark - can I have money?"

She starts THIS Sunday - an 8-hr shift! And will be working 3-4 8-hr shifts each week! It's at a local small grocery/deli store. She'll be 17 in 4 weeks, wants a car, wants this, wants that.... omg ... I might actually be able to put some money in my savings account again from time to time!

Whew - just had to let that out of my system! LOL!!!
    Smile... ... it's catchy!

Denise,

Sounds to me like you and Mr. Rock are great parents and have a great daughter. CONGRATULATIONS!

My boy is 12 so I have a way to go. But he is a sweetheart. He leaves for sleep away camp tomorrow. An experience I never had as a kid.
    The older I get, the more I realize that just keeping on keeping on is what life's all about. - JI

Agnes is offline Really ought to get married and settle down

Cool, Denise, I'm very happy for you
    Let's keep the flame alive. (the Roméo's)

Thumbs up

Way to go Denise!

Lori, your son will cherish the time at camp for the rest of his life.

I spent 8 summers (from 7-14) at sleep away camp. I would go back in a heartbeat! I miss it.

A
    This Train Still Runs!

Saugerties, NY...directly next to woodstock NY

congratulations! I remeber my first job...house painting, i was nine and it was just summers but it was alll summer...no wait, i was 8 cause when i was nine i got a raise then when i was 13 i got a new job that paid a whole $2 an hour! this was in the early 80's and it was farm labour...dangggggggggggg
    in the fall and winter we made fall and winter decorations from evergreen branches and leaves and sold them to anyone who would buy them. gosh the first job ...those were the days... I forgot to mention that we were to tithe 10 percent or more, based on what we made that week of our income to the family... try that one out on your daughter rock
    VIBE THE JOY!

Quote Originally Posted by hoops
    I forgot to mention that we were to tithe 10 percent or more, based on what we made that week of our income to the family... try that one out on your daughter rock
    We had something similar at our house. 10-20% went into "the jar", then disappeared. After I left home, I learned that the money I got when I went begging for more mostly came from "the jar."

My first job was as a file clerk and assistant accounts receivable bookkeeper for a manufacturing company. I started a few months before my 16th birthday. I made $1.75 to start, then got a raise to $1.80. As I worked only 10 hours a week, I never really noticed that my paycheck before taxes had gone up by 50 cents. The payroll person was really ticked off.
    AceOn6, the female Dee

Smile

Denise,

How great for your daughter ... and for mom and dad’s pocketbooks as well.

My first paying job was part time after school working as (of all things) a vacuum cleaner Tele-marketer. A bunch of us each got several pages from our city phone book, and worked our way down the lists, trying to convince people to let sales reps into their homes to demonstrate the product by offering them free gifts for doing so. The free gifts were steak knife sets and the like, of the cheapest quality although described in more enchanting terms. LOL We were paid on an appointments-made basis.

In the end I’m sure there were many lonely little old ladies living in my hometown who was suckered into buying one of these overpriced machines. It was shameful really.

My first full time job after graduating high school was working in a shoe store. That involved a lot of stinko feet (as you can imagine), climbing the stacks in the back room, and many struggles to fit a ladies size 11 foot into a size eight shoe ... because they insisted. LOL
    Last edited by Dee; 06-24-2006 at 01:41 PM.
    Dee / Daniel

david uk is offline On the verge of losing dog because I post so much!

cool Mrs Rock
    it's not who you love, but whether you can

gisli is offline On the verge of losing spouse because I post so much!

This calls for a celebration Congratulation Denise.

My daughter 23 is buying a house on her own with her future husband to be, they seem to manage well in that, so she seems to know something about money.

My 16 year old son has summer job and has had since he was 11 and he puts all his money into the bank, if he needs anything he buy´s it with his own money.

My son of 13 has also had a summer job since 11 and he just spends them right to left on completely unnessecary objects like computer games etc. When he asks us about money we just say NO, we did say yes at first but not anymore, responsebility is what he needs to learn, money just doesn´t grow on trees. He has now began to put money aside in the bank, so he is beginning to learn.

Our youngest of 4, he simply is just terrible, a complete materialist monster, he want´s everything and is always asking: Can I have this and can I have that........we always say NO and take a lot of heat from him because of that......he is worst of them all, but most of the time he settles for a banana or an orange and sometimes an occasional icecream

Isn't it amazing Gisli how kids from the same parents can be SO different?!
    My son got a job much earlier than my daughter and has been self-sufficent pretty much for some time. He was not a spender either. But she's the more sociable one, always wanting to go here and there. I can see her struggles ahead trying to save. BUT she is SOOOO excited that I honestly think she may save more than I anticipate - I hope!

My first job was right out of high school. I graduated on a Friday, started working at one of the local banks, as a teller, on Monday. And I was there for 10 years! I remember my starting pay was $58/week take-home, and I saved $30 of it each and every week, and still put gas in my car, bought clothes, went out with my friends. Then after 2 years I was able to go out and buy a brand spanking new car with cash! My bright orange 1972 VW Super Beetle! Those were the days.....
    Smile... ... it's catchy!