PDA

View Full Version : Rock And Roll Hall of Fame

ponytail
02-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I found out through friends on MySpace that there's a movement to induct Melanie into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. The petition is here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mssrrhof/petition.html

I don't know how well the effort is going. I tried to sign the petition but it kept telling me that my e-mail address (which is required) wasn't valid. I dropped them a note to tell them that happened, and I haven't heard back from them yet.

This is probably a dumb question, but is Janis in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? If not -- should we start a petition?

Bat
02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but is Janis in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? If not -- should we start a petition?

I just googled it, scanned the list, and as far as I can tell, Janis Ian is not listed. Folk Rock? I never really considered Janis as a Rock Star, but I guess back in the day, she put out as rockin' a sound as anybody...in a folky sort of way, maybe? I certainly think she rocks at any rate, and think she belongs right up there with all the other biggies of the day.

How does one nominate...are there regulation petitions, or just someone getting up a petition? I'm sure game to sign one, and pass it on to all my friends, relatives, acquaintances, and everyone else!

Rickster
02-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Ponytail, We absolutely should start a petition for Janis on this one! Count me in!

ponytail
02-28-2008, 10:29 PM
This is what I've been able to dig up so far about how they do things. It's from their website:

Induction Ceremony and Process

Election of Inductees

Leaders in the music industry joined together in 1983 to establish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. One of the Foundation’s many functions is to recognize the contributions of those who have had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll by inducting them into the Hall of Fame.

Performers

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 500 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

The 22nd annual induction ceremony took place at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City on March 12, 2007.
The inductees and their presenters:

* Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five inducted by Jay-Z
* R.E.M. inducted by Eddie Vedder
* The Ronettes inducted by Keith Richards
* Patti Smith inducted by Zack De La Rocha
* Van Halen inducted by Velvet Revolver

The 2007 induction ceremony also honored Ahmet Ertegun, legendary founder of Atlantic Records. There was a special performance by Aretha Franklin. Ertegun, who was a crucial figure in the careers of artists ranging from Ray Charles to Aretha Franklin to the Rolling Stones to Led Zeppelin, was instrumental in founding the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and was the Chairman of the Foundation. The main hall in the Cleveland Museum is named the Ahmet Ertegun Exhibition Hall.

For questions about the induction process, write to the following postal address (the Foundation does not have an e-mail address):

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104

(The museum itself is in Cleveland).

This is their website:

http://www.rockhall.com/

I guess the first step would be to write to them via snail mail?

By the way, this is the text of Melanie's petition:

To: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation

INDUCT “MELANIE” INTO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

…WE, THE GREAT MUSIC LOVING PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, ARE JOINING TOGETHER BY ADDING OUR NAMES TO THIS PETITION, THAT WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION, TO SHOW OUR SUPPORT THAT THEY INDUCT MELANIE SAFKA SCHEKERYK (“MELANIE”) INTO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME !

…WHY ? …BECAUSE:

1). MELANIE HAS SOLD MORE THAN 80 MILLION RECORDS !

2). MELANIE’S “BRAND NEW KEY” WAS A #1 HIT IN THE U.S. ~ CANADA ~ SOUTH AFRICA ~and~ AUSTRALIA IN 1971 !

3). MELANIE WAS THE TOP SELLING RECORDING ARTIST IN THE WORLD IN 1971 !

4). MELANIE WAS AWARDED BILLBOARD’S #1 TOP FEMALE VOCALIST IN 1972 !

5). MELANIE WAS AWARDED TWO GOLD ALBUMS !

6). MELANIE WON AN EMMY IN 1989 FOR TELEVISION’S ‘BEAUTY & THE BEAST’ !

7). MELANIE WAS THE FIRST SOLO/POP/ROCK ARTIST EVER TO APPEAR BEFORE THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE UNITED NATIONS !

8). MELANIE WAS THE FIRST SOLO/POP/ROCK ARTIST EVER TO APPEAR AT CARNEGIE HALL.

9). UNICEF APPOINTED MELANIE AS THEIR OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON AND AMBASSADOR IN 1972 !

10). MELANIE WAS THE FIRST SOLO/POP/ROCK ARTIST EVER TO APPEAR AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE !

11). MELANIE WAS THE FIRST SOLO/POP/ROCK ARTIST EVER TO APPEAR AT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE !

12). MELANIE’S APPEARANCE AT THE 1969 WOODSTOCK FESTIVAL PROMPTED THE NOW COMMON PHENOMENON OF SIGNALING AN ARTIST FOR AN ENCORE BY HOLDING UP SOME FORM OF LIGHT: (Then it was with a candle, which emerged into lighters, now it’s cel phones) ! (The Song was “Candles In The Rain”)

13). MELANIE WAS THE ONLY ARTIST TO BRAVE THE COURT INJUNCTION AND PERFORMED AT THE POWDER RIDGE ROCK FESTIVAL IN 1970 !

14). MELANIE WAS THE SECOND ARTIST (after The Beatles) TO HAVE THREE SEPARATE SINGLES ON BILLBOARD MAGAZINE’S HOT 100 CHART AT THE SAME TIME < IN 1972> (“BRAND NEW KEY“, “RING THE LIVING BELL” ~and~ “THE NICKEL SONG“) !

15). MELANIE WAS THE YOUNGEST FEMALE SOLO/POP/ROCK ARTIST TO SELL-OUT THE CONCERTGEBOUW IN AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS !

16). MELANIE’S SONGS HAVE BEEN COVERED BY: CHER ~ DOLLY PARTON ~ MACY GRAY ~ THE NEW SEEKERS ~ RAY CHARLES ~ BILLIE JO SPEARS ~and~ MOTT THE HOOPLE !

…IT IS WITH HER LEGENDARY STATUS, HER INFLUENTIAL AND SIGNIFICANT INSPIRATIONAL IMPACT ON THE EVOLUTION, DEVELOPMENT AND PERPETUATION OF ROCK AND ROLL, AND HER CONTRIBUTION TO THE WORLD OF MUSIC IN GENERAL, THAT WE URGE YOU, THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION, TO STRONGLY CONSIDER MELANIE SAFKA SCHEKERYK (“MELANIE”) FOR INCLUSION AND INDUCTION INTO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME !

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

I've been hearing from Bill, who wrote this petition, a lot lately. I'll ask him exactly what they've done so far -- what the process is. Maybe he knows exactly who a petition needs to be sent to, for instance.

Bat
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Keep on it, Jack! I'm sure our Janis has at least as good a record through the years as Melanie, including changing the worldview of how people react to interracial romance, tolerance of difference, and just generally standing tall for world justice, being heard during the trying times of awakening...and those are just a few of her accomplishments!

If we really look at what Janis has done, we realize that she is truly one of the movers and shakers spanning several generations.
I am more honored than ever to know her name, awed that she knows mine, and think she definitely has a prominent place awaiting her in the world of Honor and Recognition for People of Influence...and she's still going strong!

Darlene
03-01-2008, 01:55 PM
We don't want to let this thread die or maybe we need to start a new one addressing the issue of getting our Janis inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. I know that she deserves it and I wish I could do it but I have kind of got myself a little busy right now. Things are going to calm down a bit soon sooo, wellll, I want to help.

Darlene

MrJoP1975
03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
There's a few people I know I would like to see in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame:

Melanie
Laura Nyro
Joan Baez
Judy Collins

And of course

Janis Ian:D

Bat
03-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the board, James...I like your list, too...as long as Janis is on it, sounds good to me!

DaveM
03-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I always wondered who started the bit with firing up lighters as a sign of appreciation or a call for an encore. Someone once told me it started as a sort of protest, a token violation of fire regulations. But this version makes a lot more sense.

ponytail
03-02-2008, 12:44 AM
It did first happen at Woodstock while Melanie was singing, but the song wasn't "Candles In The Rain," it was "Beautiful People." "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)" was written in retrospect ABOUT the experience at Woodstock, and became Melanie's first big hit about a year later.

BTW, when I started this thread, I wasn't volunteering to be the main person honchoing the effort. I'm pretty busy too (I already manage four internet groups, among other things.) But I would also like to help.:)

ponytail
03-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Artists Currently Eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

These artists below have yet to be inducted into the Rock Hall and are listed by the date they first became eligible for the Rock Hall, 25 years after the release of their first record (LP, EP or single). Click on any artist to vote on their chances for the Rock Hall.

To see the list, visit this link:

http://www.futurerockhall.com/eligibles.php

dragonlady
03-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Artists releasing their first recording in 1968 would have been eligible in 1993. Tha future eligible artists the web site has on the list for that year are:
Al kooperBlood Sweat and Tears
Blue Cheer (http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=Al_Kooper)
Brian AugerCan (http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=Blue_Cheer)Deep PurpleDr. JohnEmmylou Harris (http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=Deep_Purple)Free (http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=Dr._John)GenesisIron ButterflyJethro TullLeon RussellSilver ApplesThe Sir Douglas QuintetSpirit (http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=Silver_Apples)Steppenwolf (http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=The_Sir_Douglas_Quintet)Steve Miller BandT. Rex (http://www.futurerockhall.com/artist.php?artist_id=Steve_Miller_Band)

-di

Chet
03-02-2008, 08:20 PM
The 2007 list includes Kenny G.

Kenny G????

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Did someone make a wrong turning somewhere??